Saturday 3 May 2014

His Dark Materials: Show Week!

Hello,

So about a month and a half ago, I was fortunate enough to perform on the Old REP Stage, 100 years after Laurence Olivier performed for the first time on there in my last major production at BOA called 'His Dark Materials', based on the Philip Pullman books, adapted by Nicholas Wright.  We have got a student lead production of 'Titus Andronicus' by Shakespeare on, but it's in a much smaller theatre and not everyone is in it - so this really was my last major show with the college that changed my life.

I was fortunate enough to be cast in the role of Mrs Coulter, the main older female lead (obviously Lyra is the main gal).  I had a lot of fun working on this project, from intense and detailed character development work to funny rehearsals and awkward moments it was a pleasure to be a part of, so I thought I'd share it with you!

For those of you not familiar with the books or the play, it's basically a play of The Golden Compass with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig - I was Nicole Kidman (haha I wish).  Though the books (and plays) cover a lot more than the films, our part (part 1) was what was covered in the film.  There are three books, which condensed into two plays (the first is based on the first book and the second on the last two) and the film is based on the first.

I had great fun strutting around, being sassy and evil in my dresses then getting all emotional in a huge fur coat in some very dramatic scenes in which I revealed that I was Lyras mother, unwillingly broke a witch's fingers then was reunited with (and kissed) then split up with (again) the love of my life.  Then I got to be all sassy again in court.

The whole experience was a bit of a whirlwind but I had so much fun doing it all.  Here are some of my favourite pictures from the production and the rehearsal process - I have literally thousands on my hard drive but these are my best!  Enjoy!

























It was a really good show and I get really emotional thinking about it as I made some of my closest friends in the rehearsal process as well as finding out lots and lots of stuff about myself.  It was an incredible experience with great memories - I even had a whole bunch of the cast over for a bit of an after show party at mine after the last night which was amazing fun.  I was so so sad when it was over as it was a true milestone in my college and education career and it was the last time I got to perform with my close friends.  Also, a reason I got so emotional was because during the week I realised just how lucky I was and how much my life had changed.  If someone had told me two years ago when I was so anxious and depressed and lonely I couldn't attend school that I'd be doing a performance like that, in a role like that with such amazing friends who I love dearly, I would've quite frankly told them to fuck off.  But the fact it all happened seems like some kind of fairy tale and I'm so thankful for the experience.

Much love,
Rosie
-x-

'To love oneself is the first step to success'





No comments:

Post a Comment